GUIDE FOR LOCATION, CHARGES & SCHEDULE OF OPERATION
(FOR PATIENTS FROM ABROAD OR OTHER THAN
With its numerous educational and research institutes, Pune is often called the “Oxford of India” and is considered the cultural capital of the State of Maharashtra. The city has a large automobile manufacturing industry and is home to many software and IT companies and has a population of approximately five million.
You can plan to arrive in Pune at any time. Make sure that you bring your regular clothes, money, passport with visa endorsement and personal items, just as you would normally do for tours and travel. You can Google “Pune weather” for an overview of seasonal changes in temperature and rainfall. If you are not accustomed to high summer temperatures you may wish to avoid the hottest months of March, April and May.
The total price for our complete surgery and accommodation package is US $ 2500-3000/-. There is a small additional charge of US $ 100 for gases in O.T. and $ 100 for O.T. medicines/consumables. This package price includes your hospital room charges, surgery fees, theatre fees, anesthetist fees etc. All your meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day) are also included in the package price. If you wish to be accompanied by a partner or friend, they can share your private room at no additional cost. Current exchange rate will be considered at the time of payment if more than 65 INR and any fluctuations below 60 INR PER DOLLAR in the currency exchange rate will be EXCHANGED AT 65. The package is for a normal stay of 1 night. You need to send only a US $ 200/- nonrefundable advance fee booking, the remainder to be paid on arrival in cash. Good hotels with hot and cold water and showers are available near hospital at the rate of US $ 40-60 per day (No meals or breakfast).We can provide you names of hotels with contact details if you wish.
The packages prices above are not applicable to those patients who may carry a higher risk of surgery due to associated medical conditions or recurrent hernia or hernia complications like obstructed hernia, or obesity, or inguino-scrotal hernias etc. Any additional costs for such patients can be arrived at after discussing your medical history with Professor Desarda. Should you wish to stay in your hospital room for more than one night; the accommodation fee (including meals) will be US$100 per day for a private room, excluding the cost of any medicines and any investigations that may be required in the wards. Any additional surgery like excision of Lipoma of the cord or Varicocoele or extra hernia on same side will be charged extra at the rate of 200 US $ per procedure.
If you wish to avoid the well documented chronic complications so often associated with the use of mesh for inguinal hernia repairs, then you can start immediately by having the basic tests (below) done in your own country to check if you are well enough to undergo the hernia repair surgical procedure.
The tests are:
2. A Routine urine test
4. Blood Urea levels for kidney function
5. Hepatitis B test (Australia Antigen)
6. Test for HIV (Auto immune disease-AIDS test)
7. Chest X-Ray report.
8. Ultrasound examination of abdomen for inguinal hernia.
Send these reports along with your other information such as
3. Blood pressure
4. Any medical treatment you are currently undergoing.
5. Details of your past history of major illness or hospitalization or allergy.
The operative procedure is normally done under spinal anesthesiaOur repair uses a strong muscle very close to the hernia site. A strip is repositioned from a nearby muscle called the external oblique aponeurosis. This strong strip of muscle is sutured onto the weak area so that the weak area receives a new support of natural muscle tissue. Moreover, the recurrence rate in this operation is virtually zero. For technical details of the operative procedure, please click on the 'technique' section of our web pages.
SCHEDULE FOR SURGERY:
Day 1: Admission followed by surgery
Day 2: You are discharged to go home
The Following information will help guide you to Pune from your country.
1. Your flight will bring you to Mumbai (Bombay) a very large international city on the west coast of India. Mumbai (Bombay) Airport is also called Sahar International Airport. After passing through the normal airport arrival procedures, go to the airport Enquiry Counter and ask about the regular luxury air-conditioned coach services from Mumbai Airport to Pune. These buses are available immediately outside the waiting lounge of the airport. Alternately, you can hire a taxi from the airport to take you from Mumbai to Pune. Information about the bus and taxi charges is readily available at the enquiry counter. The current luxury coach charges from Mumbai airport to Pune are approximately 800 Indian Rupees (INR) equivalents to US $15. The usual toilet and refreshment facilities are available at the airport, and safe drinking mineral water bottles are always available at the airport, bus stations, railway stations and shops.
2. If possible, give us a telephone call on our mobile number of 9373322178 or 7738181022 from Mumbai airport, so that we know about your arrival, and can help you in case of any difficulties.
3. The distance from Mumbai to Pune is 100 miles (160 kms). The bus or taxi will take about 3-4 hours to reach Pune. Mumbai to Pune flights are available, but the bus or taxi is just as fast in overall time and much cheaper. The bus or taxi will make one stop in the middle of the journey for passengers to refresh or have snacks at a highway restaurant similar to MacDonald's.
4. Your private transporter will normally drop you off in Pune at whatever address you choose. Please note our address and give instructions to the driver to drop you at our hospital address.
ADDRESS: 1] Poona Hospital & Research Centre
27, Navi Peth (Lal Bahaddur Shastri Road)
Near Alka cinema/movie theatre
This hospital is well known to everyone in Pune. If the bus or taxi drops you near the railway or bus station in Pune, there are numerous local taxis available at the bus or railway station to take you to our hospital address within 15 to 20 minutes.
5. You are required to reach Poona Hospital at 10 am in the morning one day rpior to your operation date for examination and settlement of the accounts. Once you reach hospital, please contact the medical officer in the casualty department, which is close to the main entrance of the hospital. The watchman on the entrance will also be happy to give you directions. Professor Desarda will visit you for a check up as soon as his time schedule permits. All check ups are done on the same day, and the operation is planned on the next day.
6. Payments: Although international Visa enabled credit cards can be used for withdrawing money at ATM centers in Pune, for your convenience we advise you to keep about US$2500-3000 in cash for payment of your package charges and 1000 $ extra for any additional surgery charges or emergency. We then make arrangements to have your US currency exchanged to Indian currency to cover all your package expenses like food, stay, operation, anesthesia etc. You can withdraw only 20000/- INR per day from one account in one bank.
NOTE: Above packages are applicable to foreign nationals & Indians who are staying out of India for more than 180 days.Patients residing in India (Indian residents) can contact us by telephone or email for appointments, examination, charges etc.
PA to Prof. Desarda